There's a long list of skin care mistakes you could be making, but have you ever wondered which are the worst? We thought there's no better person to set the record straight than a skin care professional, so we asked estheticians on Bioelements Facebook page what their biggest skin care mistakes were in their teens and 20-something years. Here are their top 7 regrets:
7. I would have stopped picking at my face.It's something you're taught from the time you get your first pimple, but can't really appreciate until you're trying to remove the scars 10, 20, even 30 years later! Multiple estheticians said that if they could turn back the clock, they would nix their picking habit. Put your hands down and pick up Breakout Control – a maximum strength spot treatment that will clear blemishes, and stop new breakouts from forming.
6. I would have had better nutrition.The importance of the skin-diet connection was discusssed throughout the Skin Sin Series, but skin care professional Gabe Lόpez shared his first-hand experience with the effect upping your water intake can have in his 20-something regret. He says, "I would have stopped drinking soda. I easily drank 7+ cans a day. Replaced it with water. Completely changed my skin. I saw a difference in two days."
5. I would have had a real skin care routine.It seems so easy to rely on a bar of soap for your daily skin care routine, but it's not doing your skin any favors – both now and in the future! Bioelements fan and skin care professional Amber Clark points this out when she tells us what she would change about her early skin care habits. Instead of "just cleansing", she would have adhered to a full skin routine – something that's never too early to learn, and will only ever serve your skin well.
4. I would have learned about my skin condition.Bioelements Twitter follower and esthetician Vanessa said she struggled with eczema as a teen and wishes she would have had the knowledge back then to better manage it. Learning about your skin, its conditions, and getting the right treatment as soon as possible can save you from irritation and damage in the future. Get started on the right path early on by taking notes on the next 20-something regret…
3. I would have talked to a pro.Taking skin care tips from friends or adopting the latest fads into your daily routine might work for someone who already has perfect skin. But to target serious skin concerns like acne, fine lines, or dryness you need serious skin care, and someone who knows how to use it. See an esthetician for regular facials to keep your skin concerns in check, and provide you with the right tools to take care of them quickly and effectively.
2. I wouldn't have slept in my makeup.When it's late at night, or in the wee hours of the morning, it's easy to shrug off your nightly cleansing routine. After all, how bad could it really be for your skin? It turns out it's one of your esthetician's worst regrets, and it's no surprise why! Whether you get 4 hours a night or 9, your skin goes into repair mode when you sleep. It heals damage done from the day prior, and its job gets that much harder when layers of sweat, makeup, and dirt are covering it. Spend the 3 minutes it takes to perform your entire nightly routine to reap the benefits that hours of sleep can have for your skin!
1. I would have applied sunscreen!The number one teen and 20s regret nearly every skin care professional had was neglecting their sun protection – myself included! Whether we're running errands on a cloudy day, or spending a day at the beach, our skin is constantly exposed to UV rays that damage it down to a genetic level. Even if you avoid a sunburn and just see a tan, the effects are long-lasting and can cause premature signs of skin aging and even skin cancer. Wearing a broad spectrum sunscreen is the first and most important anti-ager you will ever use, and should be applied as the last step in every morning skin care routine.
Do you agree with the #1 regret? Have your own to share? Tell us in the comments!
Comments will be approved before showing up.