The perfect tan is possible. A tan that has even color, a healthy glow, and is streak-free. No UV rays, and no tanning bed needed. All you need is your favorite self-tanner, the right products, and some tips from the professionals:
1. SHAVE AHEAD OF TIME – 12 hours in advance (24 hrs. in advance if you’re waxing). This will ensure you avoid any sensitivities.
2. EXFOLIATE – It’s the secret to a perfect self-tan. When skin is layered with dulling dead cells, self-tanner will cling to these “invisible” clumps, and you’ll end up with blotchy, uneven color. So exfoliate your face and body prior to application for an even, streak-free tan. Start the process 2-3 days before you plan to self-tan for the best results.
- For FACE: Use a chemical exfoliator with an alpha hydroxy acid to eliminate dead surface cells and even out rough texture. Bioelements Quick Refiner is a great choice (you can also use it on rough elbows, knees and feet!)
- For BODY: Sweep away dry, dulling cells from neck-to-toes by dry brushing the body right before you shower. Again, focus on your elbows and feet – especially the backs of your ankles. The age-old technique of dry brushing is used by professionals in body treatments to shed cells and renew skin – it’s a great way to prep for an even self-tan. Learn how to dry brush at home in our video demo:
3. MIX IT UP – Self-tanner often looks uneven or too dark around the knees, elbows and ankles. A fool-proof way to avoid this is to mix your self-tanner with a professional formula body creme before applying.
Mix 1 part self-tanner with 1 part body creme (try Bioelements Extremely Emollient). This will ensure even, streak-free color from head-to-toe – plus, your skin will be nourished and smooth with increased moisture and antioxidants! Proper head-to-toe moisturization will keep your skin hydrated and smooth – and extend the life of your tan – so keep using it daily.
2. DON’T RUSH – Self-tanning takes time if you want to get a flawless, natural-looking, even application. So give yourself enough time – about an hour for prep, application and complete dry time.
1. NIGHTTIME IS THE RIGHT TIME – A great time to apply self-tanner is at night – you have more time to let it dry, and you don’t have to worry about it staining your everyday clothes. Just apply it and wake up to a healthy glow!
Do you self-tan at home? What self-tanner do you use? Tell us in the comments!
We asked the same question on our Facebook page, too – and here’s the most-mentioned brands: