Control Oily Skin
Although it might seem like oil is the enemy, healthy skin naturally has a thin layer of oil on the surface to keep skin supple, healthy, and balanced. This thin film is called the Hydrolipidic Barrier - and is composed of sebum produced by sebaceous glands in the hair follicle, and water produced by sweat glands. Everyone needs and has this barrier, but when skin begins to produce too much sebum, the problems can begin.
But when the skin over-produces sebum, pores fill up and can become clogged with oil, dead, shedding skin, and dirt, leading to congestion and breakouts. When the excess oil sits on the surface of the skin, it can keep water from reaching the surface. This tricks the skin into thinking it’s dehydrated and signals the production of even more oil. For those with acne, this process can worsen breakouts because the P. acnes bacteria thrives in oxygen poor environments like clogged, congested pores.
Bioelements Oil Control Mattifier works on the inside and out – soaking up excess shine on the surface, while targeting oily sebum deep in your skin’s follicles. Apply it over your entire face, just to oily areas -- you can even apply it mid-day right over makeup!
Rumors and myths surrounding acne and its causes have circulated for centuries, but one thing that directly correlates with acne-prone skin is elevated sebum production. As the skin produces more oil, and sheds dead skin cells, both can compact to form an open or closed comedone. Many try to solve this by cleansing and exfoliating until the skin feels tight and dry. Over-cleansing and over-exfoliating to remove oil strips the skin of necessary nutrients and its protective hydrolipidic barrier. To repair itself, the skin starts producing more oil and the pore-clogging process starts again. Many with oily, combination, or acne-prone skin won’t follow this up with a moisturizer because they want to keep skin shine-free. Doing so only makes your skin produce more oil to replace what it senses is missing. Additionally, using harsh cleansing or exfoliating methods can break open acne pustules and spread the P. acnes bacteria further. Bioelements Acne Clearing System is specifically formulated to help combat acne without stripping or dehydrating the skin.
Is OIly your true skin type? The best way to solve the endless cycle of oil overproduction, is to establish a daily skin care routine formulated to control oil and stick with it.
1. Start off with Decongestant Cleanser - a gel cleanser that will remove dirt and excess oil so that skin feels refreshed and not stripped.
2. Gently exfoliate with a chemical exfoliator like Quick Refiner. The leave-on gel will prompt cell turnover to keep pores unclogged and refined.
3. Tone with Equalizer to calm, replenish and rebalance skin with essential nutrients without leaving it greasy. Spritz on twice a day before the moisturizer step in your skin care routine.
4. Before you start applying makeup, apply Oil Control Mattifier to stop excess oil before it even starts. The formula works inside pores to control and balance oil production, while tapioca starch absorbs excess surface oil to keep your skin shine-free, and your makeup intact, throughout the day.
5. Even Oily skin types must moisturize! Leaving cleansed skin unmoisturized will force it to produce more oil in order to replenish the hydrolipidic barrier that was washed away. Applying a light moisturizer like Beyond Hydration will bind water to skin without leaving a shiny.
6. SPF is a must before stepping out of the house during the day. Bioelements Broad Spectrum Sunscreens have a protective, but non-greasy formula to keep skin covered all day.
7. When outside factors like weather, medication, or stress leave your skin needing some extra TLC, there are a few products that can help you keep it under control.
- To draw out excess oil and dirt that can build up over the week, use a mask like Restorative Clay twice a week to refine pores, improve texture, and add hydration without making skin overly greasy.
- Oily skin can sometimes be confused with acne-prone skin, but one breakout shouldn’t make you reach for an entirely different skin routine. Instead, apply Breakout Control on problem areas to dry and clear pimples or breakouts as they occur.
- When you need extra help on hot summer days or when touching up after work or before a date, take Oil Control Mattifier on the go and apply over makeup to soak up excess oil and keep skin looking matte and flawless.
- For a dose of anti-aging action, use Oil Control Sleepwear before bed to smooth and prevent the appearance of lines and wrinkles.